about art, automobiles, interiors and more...

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

He Took Me Under His Arm!


I have been running full speed for quite some time, not for any meaningful purpose but just for the sake of it. Last week a dear friend of mine (a Neurologist by profession) invited me to join her and her dear husband at her hospital for a lecture on "Mindful Living" by a prominent Psychiatrist.

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that it was not a typical and complicated "shrink" talk. Rather, Dr. Krishna's message was simple; slow down, calm down and start enjoying the moment.

In my slowing down moment I came upon this poem of Rumi, I have read it before but it did not stir me up the way it did now. Since all good things should be shared with family and friends, here it is, who knows it may stir you up too:


He Took Me Under His Arm

I was dead, but came back to life.
I was the cry, but I became the smile.
Love came and turned me
into everlasting glory.

Here’s how it happened:

He said to me, “You don’t belong in this house.
You’re not nearly crazy enough.”
I went and became raving mad
and bound myself in chains.

He said to me, “You are not drunk. Get lost.
You’re not from this land.”
I went and got pie-eyed drunk
and filled my life with music and dance.

He said to me, “You’ve never annihilated yourself
so music and dance can’t touch you.”
I passed out of myself right in front of him
and fell to the ground.

He said to me, “You’re a sensible, learned man,
full of reflections and opinions.”
I became a silly fool
and cut myself off from people.

He said to me, “You’re a candle,
The light to these people.”
I gave them all up.
I became smoke and spread myself around.

He said to me, “You’re the Sheikh, the head
the one who walks at the front,  the guide.”
I told him I’m neither Sheikh nor guide.
I’m the follower of your order.

He said to me, “You have arms and wings.
I don’t give anything to you.”
I told him that I desire his wings so that
I can cut mine.

His glory then spoke to me and said,
“Don’t give up now, you’re almost there.
I’ll soon grant you the favor you seek
and come to you.”

And so he said to me, “O old love of mine
Don’t ever get out from under my arm.”
And I said, “Yes,” and I stayed there.

Rumi



2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    Well, we are all for slow living. However, it is often easier said than done as the pace of everyday life seems to speed up all the time and one does get carried along with it all. But, the pleasures of life are often small and insignificant and can so easily be overlooked if one is not careful.

    The poem is simply delightful and the message significant. We are only human and sometimes one must take refuge in a higher spirit! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wise words. Here in our country the pace of life keeps getting faster and faster, everyone is multitasking and always on the run. So every now and then it does not hurt to slow down for a while and enjoy the pleasures of life which as you have rightly mentioned are small and insignificant.

      Though I am not into organized religion but do believe in a higher power/spirit. Believing in a higher authority gives a luxury of staying grounded and not always fighting for outcome of my choice. Not following a specific doctrine provides the luxury of picking and choosing the good stuff wherever it is.

      Delete